Trendlines in line charts

Are there no trendline options in line charts or am I just missing it?

Unfortunately, the trendline option is not available yet :crying_cat_face:

I have converted this to a feature suggestion so other people can vote and share their use cases as well.

ps: Iā€™m asking engineers whether we can achieve this with Vega-Lite Custom Chart Regression | Vega-Lite

Custom charts is/will be a powerful feature, but things like trend lines should absolutely be added to the ā€˜out the boxā€™ charts ā€¦ please donā€™t fall down the trap of not maintaining/building upon standard chart options because of the availability of creating custom charts - this will really hinder adoption from users.

(Iā€™d put things like having Histograms and Box&Whisker plots in the same category - theyā€™re things people expect to be able to achieve when they use a BI / data visualisation tool)

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, definitely these options should be included in the standard charts.

My suggested approach is merely a workaround. However, the Vega-lite Custom Chart is also being tested as our future chart engine. When it becomes more stable, we will switch the current engine to Vega-lite, which will allow the default charts to have more customizations by default.

1 Like

Yeah iā€™m playing with the vega-lite holistics beta as there is a regression statement but Iā€™m just not familiar with it enough yet to get it working. If thereā€™s a sample that gets implemented anyone knows of please share.

Very keen on the trend line feature - we have many users who have asked for this and have missed this functionality.

Holistics folks is there any plan to add trend lines in the near future? This has become a real issue for us lately

Hi @sm_mk @Guido_Stark and team.

We understand that this is a super helpful feature for all of our customers, and totally agree with David on his point:

please donā€™t fall down the trap of not maintaining/building upon standard chart options because of the availability of creating custom charts - this will really hinder adoption from users

But we have not had any plan to support the trendlines on Line Charts at the moment yet. The main reason is that weā€™re mainly focusing on developing our as-code modeling and improving the user experience (e.g: Performance, Data Discovery, UI-UX, etc.) in 22Q3Q4. So Iā€™m afraid that you need to wait for us a few months before we start researching on this feature.

During this time, we highly recommend you try our Custom Chart as a workaround, particularly your team really needs this feature. Iā€™ll work with our team to prepare a guide on building the trendlines with Custom Chart, and share with you later when weā€™ve done it :blush:

Thank you for your patience and understanding :blush:

2 Likes

Hi when can we expect this guide for custom chart with trendlines

1 Like

Hi guys @sm_mk, @Guido_Stark and @hari! :raising_hand_man:t2:
Just wanna let you guys know that we have put together a guide for Trendlines in chart here:
<Chart with trend line | Custom charts Library - GitHub>

P.S: weā€™ve changed this template to a full code example of Scatterplot with Trendline, hoping this would be easier for you to adopt & customize further. Please see here:
<Scatterplot with Trendline Tutorial | Custom charts Library - GitHub>

Plz do check it out and let me know if itā€™s useful for you :+1:t2:

Oh btw, we have a GitHub repo for chart templates (such as the Trendlines above) right here: Custom charts Library - GitHub.

Itā€™s open for contributions (with a little review assistance for our side), please feel free to add any cool charts that youā€™ve made on there too! :beers:

1 Like

Any update here? Itā€™s been over 8 months and I donā€™t believe we have trend-lines in the standard charts yet.

This was something that we chatted to the team and said we needed this feature when we first signed on with Holistics and that was 18+ months ago.

They want us to use the custom charts option. Iā€™ve tried a few times but could never get exactly what I wanted and thereā€™s no solid example that I could find for what weā€™re doing (bar chart w/ simple regression trendline). If anyone has luck please post the code

Hi @DataGeekDude and @sm_mk,

Our apologies for the lack of visibility on the progress.

We definitely agree that trend-lines are an essential addition to the standard built-in charts.
However, we plan to first switch our chart engine to Vega-lite, which will allow us to easily adopt more extensions for these standard charts, such as Trend-lines. Therefore it may take some time before this feature is available.

Please be assured that we are committed to creating standard charts for common reporting use-cases like this, and only intend Custom charts for ad-hoc reporting needs (or in some cases, as a temporary workaround).
Also, Trendlines is a highly prioritized item in our backlog.

In the meantime, Iā€™d be happy to help you with a workaround. Could you please share the problem you are facing with creating Trend-lines using Custom charts?

Hi @sm_mk,

Sorry for the inconvenience as the ā€œTrendlines in chartā€ template above is not available.
Weā€™ve whipped up another template for ā€œScatterplot with Trendlineā€ in the above thread. There is a full code example & a step-by-step guide for it, which hopefully will be easier to use or customize for a different chart type. Like bar chart for your case.

Please give it a try, and let me know if you need any assistance :beers:

I think itā€™s just hard sometimes to work out the VegaLite syntax etc to create charts and it would be great to have that easier or more examples, like a bar chart with trend line in your examples library

Thanks, Craig for your feedback! :pray:
I see. Weā€™ve been working to make Custom charts & Vege-lite syntax easier to adopt, but I reckon itā€™s still tricky and requires lots of time for trial and error in many cases.

Weā€™ve been able to put up a simple Bar chart with Trendline like below. Is it similar to your desired result? @DataGeekDude

Yes thats great, and I will go about getting that into our Holistics workspace today.

1 Like

Great!
Iā€™ve put it on the Template library for you guys to make use of: <Bar chart with Trendline | Custom charts Library - GitHub>.

Pinging @sm_mk also, since it might be useful for you as well!

Cheers! :beers:

Hi @sm_mk @david-ri @Guido_Stark @hari @DataGeekDude,

Weā€™re currently reviewing our backlog and would greatly appreciate your insights regarding the trendline feature. Could you kindly share your use cases for trendlines with us? Specifically, we would like to know:

• In which types of charts do you want to create trendlines?
  • Which types of trendlines do you find most important (linear, moving average, exponential, etc.)?
  • What specific use cases or types of analysis do you intend to achieve with trendlines?
  • Are there any styling options you expect to have (dashed lines, labels, tooltips, etc.)?

Any additional information you can provide on this matter would be incredibly valuable.Your inputs will greatly help us better understand your needs and inform our solution design should we support the trendline feature in the future :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like