Multiple users collaborating on the same dashboard / transfer of dashboard ownership

Hi team,

Looking for some advice on best practice when it comes to users collaborating on a dashboard together.

We have a set up where we have

• 2 Admins, and all other users are Explorers.
  • We have no users with the Analyst role.
  • We have dashboards in our shared workspace that we only want our 2 Admins to be able to edit.
  • We have different teams wanting to collaborate on dashboards with multiple users.
  • Most of our dashboards are created on top of one extensive dataset that holds most of the important company information.

Is there any way that two Explorers can work on the same private dashboard, or pass the ownership of the dashboard between them.

It’s not clear to me whether private dashboard ownership can be transferred and what the process is. I have hunted through the documentation but can’t find anything that suggests it’s possible to transfer the ownership of a dashboard, or to invite in another Explorer as a read and write collaborator.

I could move this dashboard into the shared space and make these Explorers have the Analysts role, but then it appears they have the power to update other dashboards I do not want them to edit. Many of our dashboards are built off the same underlying model. Is there a way to limit Analyst access to some dashboards based on a dataset, while allowing the Analyst to change other specific dashboards?

Any advice gratefully received as I feel we’re missing something in our setup here.

3 Likes

Also facing this problem.
Looking forwards for this ownership transfer feature too.

1 Like

Hi @Guido_Stark @PPCR
Currently, we don’t have the ability to transfer dashboard ownership. However, we truly understand the value of this feature, and it’s something we are actively exploring and prioritizing. I’ll keep you informed of any further updates.
Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Hi,

Any news on this feature ? From what I understand if we want to allow someone to edit a specific dashboard he has not created, the only way today is to give him an analyst licence which gives him write permissions on all dashboards as well as the data modeling layer.

Hi @dacou

We appreciate your understanding as we haven’t been able to prioritize improvements to the permission setting system over the past few months. We’ve been focused on several key initiatives, including the exciting transition to everything-as-code.

However, we’re now actively looking into how to address these requests on permission setting system. To develop a truly holistic solution, can you please share with us how you envision users at your organization managing permissions in an ideal scenario? Any real-life use cases you could share would be incredibly helpful in guiding our development efforts.

On our side, we have :

• dashboard consumers who only consume and interact (filter, drill, …) with dashboards made for them
  • dashboard creators who will create and share dashboards based on datasets made for them
  • data analysts (in the data team) who provide datasets and some dashboards

Ideally, we would like to have this :

Section Owner Editors Readers
Private workspace Workspace owner (me) Workspace owner (me) Any combination of groups or users
Public workspace On single group or user (can be changed by the editors) Any combination of groups or users Any combination of groups or users

As a bonus, it would be great if we could assign an email or a link to a group so that when a group is identified as the owner of the dashboard :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Damien,

That’s a great explanation! Thank you so much.

Our team has discussed and agreed that our permission/user access setting system should be more flexible. We’ve put it in our backlog and will carefully analyze the problem and solution soon. Thank you for your patience :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Phuong.