Merge results from two Datasets to one

Hi all,

As far as I know there is no way to merge two Holistics datasets on a common key. Is this something the team have considered adding?

A common question from colleagues at different departments are on the format:

1. What is the proportion of filtered data to total data?
  2. What are the counts of filtered data compared to counts of unfiltered data over time?

User difficulty without requested feature:
Two separate widgets would need to be created separately side-to-side making it harder to directly compare data since it’s not in the same visualisation.

Developer difficulties to prepare desired dataset:
Likely need to create derived SQL-tables in Holistics, or create additional tables in our Data warehouse and import to Holistics. This is cumbersome and only a matter of time before another colleague asks for another set of filtered dataset which needs to be prepared.

A feature to merge two Dataset results in Holistics would allow for a self-service approach. Similar functionality found in Google’s Looker docs

If this is solved already I’d be thankful if you could point me in the right direction on how to approach it. :pray:

“Merged Results” could also help address the drill-across issue, as long we were able to build metrics on top of the merged results.

1 Like

Hi @Chris,

Thanks for sharing you case with detailed context! And my apologies for the late turnaround.
Unfortunately, Holistics doesn’t support merging results from two datasets so far.

A few follow-ups, if I may:

• Does it make sense in your case to centralize all of the filtered data into a single unfiltered dataset, and build reports from it?
  • Could you also share some sample data from these current separate datasets, and the desired output you want to have from there?

Looking forward to hear from you!

Indeed that’s another possible benefit from Merging datasets. Thanks for sharing, @SterlingParamoreMSE!

It’s not doable so far, I’m afraid. But duly noted.

That said, for your specific Drill-across situation we might be able to support with Holistics’s upcoming AQL engine, as my colleague Tan replied in your post Drill-across relationships.