Will cross model expression be enabled in the near future?

Hi all,

Will cross model expression be enabled in the near future? It could be a really useful feature.

It’s not a huge issue but a few times I’ve had to edit underlying data tables in order to get the reporting I want. It ends up occasionally being an extra consideration when doing the data modelling.

I was under the impression that this type of business calculation was allowed and they way to get round the inability to create a dimension or measure in AML?

1 Like

Hi Michael,

The short answer is YES! - We are in the midst of our plan to drastically improve Holistics Expression and Cross-model Expression is a critical part of the plan.

At the moment, we are totally aware that “Business calculation” has room for improvements, which might cause troubles to your workload as you mentioned. “Business calculation”, for now, only supports Cross-model Expression when the children components are aggregated, e.g.

• support: sum(model_a.field_a) + sum(model_b.field_b))
  • does not support: sum(model_a.field_a + model_b.field_b))

We are trying our best to push the cross-model expression to our users. I hope you understand and bear with us for a while.

Thank you so much!

Daphne

4 Likes

thanks Daphne! looking forward to this

1 Like

Hi @michael.mccann and @DataGeekDude,

We just had an official announcement for Cross-model Calculation. You could follow to the Community Post below for more information regarding progress and update.

hi @Khai_To , have you guys made any progress on this?

It feels like a very basic feature that is missing and incentivises me to create data models not using best practices just because i can’t create simple charts with holistics using the fact / dimension approach.

Hi @michael.mccann,

Cross-model calculation has officially been supported via our AQL Expression.
You can refer to our post here for more information.

However, do note that our AQL Expression is only supported in version 4.0 so if you’re in version 3.0, you would need to migrate to version 4.0.

Do let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Hi Khai,

I noticed that cross model AQL doesn’t work when trying to do a rolling average when using the trailing() function? Is this a known bug?

Hi @olammas,

Could you share more details about the error that you’re encountering?
You can send the screenshot and the link to your report via our support ticket so that we can investigate further.

I have also created an example using our AMQL Playground here and it seems to work as expected from our side.

Looks good. I’ll do some testing and flag to support. Thanks!! :slight_smile:

1 Like