Add dashboard share feature so as a Dashboard creator I can share a dashboard to email-addresses, that don’t have a Holistics account, on a secure and scalable way.
End user experience
The feature should work as follows for the Dashboard consumer.
- The Dashboard consumer receives an email with the link and a password for the dashboard
- After clicking the link, the user gets redirected to a page where he puts in his email-address and password provided in the email
- When viewing the Dashboard, the end-user should only see the data that is mapped to the provided email-address
Required setup for the Analyst
- Add email or user attribute to data. add a field in the dataset for each record, the email address or user attribute of the user that is allowed to see the record.
- If more than one user should be allowed to see the same record, user-attributes for external users should be setup. This would be done in the user management page, in a New seperate tab that covers only non-Holistics users.
- The final step is to send out the Dashboard by following these steps:
- Go to the dashboard that you want to share, and click on share link with credential access
- Fill in the email of the recipiënt, where by default the Dashboard is secured with row-level security as setup in step 1 and 2
Why not using current data sharing features?
Current Holistics data sharing features are fine for internal data sharing or ad hoc sharing. But when you want to share dashboards at scale, you want something more robust and automatable.
Setting for each dashboard the permissions seperately, is dangerous and prone to error. And require each person that wants to see a
Dashboard to have a Holistics account is a bit overkill.
This kind of a feature can be seen as an upgrade to the current Sharable Links feature. The benefits when having this future is high scalability and security!