Running Total for Count/Count Distinct

Thanks @Rob_B for the suggestion :pray:

Generic use case: Apply count/count distinct on a dimension, then use running total on that count of dimension_name to accumulate it over time.

Please leave a vote :small_red_triangle: for this feature so I can humbly shout at my team that “our customers really need this feature don’t you see???”

Jk, this helps us prioritize our backlog better.

Count distinct with a running total would go beyond what can be achieved within an ANSI SQL window function so this would be :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Any update on the prioritization of this feature?

Applying a running sum on any aggregated column (and also dividing by the column total sum) would be of great help for my organisation.

Hi @jpean and @Chris,

Thank you for writing to us! We are still in the progress to collect more input for this feature; hence, no concrete update at the moment. Your comments are duly noted and I will be sure to raise this up again with our team.

In the meantime, if you have any additional details to share about your use cases, really looking forward to hearing more.

Daphne

Hi @daph.td ,

The possibility to combine a running sum and divide by a column total sum can be used to create a cumulative percentage. One use case: Get a quick overview of where to spend focus. A rule of thumb in operations could be to prioritise Product Groups that together make up 85% of the revenue.

In Google’s Looker this can be done in their Table calculations, which correspond to Holistics Business calculation. Looker docs for running total

1 Like

Hi @Chris,

Thanks again for sharing the details with us! Good news - I raised this topic with our team and we decided to look into it really soon. Please stay tuned for the new update.

Daphne

1 Like