Launched: API to list all the dashboards

Hey everyone!

We’ve got some exciting news to share with you all - our API list for all dashboards is now live!:rocket: That means you can now easily list down all dashboards and their own relevant information, aka metadata, for your own creative purposes.

To get started, just visit our developer documentation page and follow the simple instructions at Holistics API | Holistics Docs. You’ll need to grab an API key, but it’s a breeze. Trust us, your future self will thank you for taking the time to do this. :sunglasses:

We apologize for not having this important API available earlier. After receiving feedback from you, we made the decision to implement this API as soon as possible.

We hope to receive more input from you about API and as always if you have any questions or run into any issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to help!

Cheers,

4 Likes

Thanks for releasing this, it makes the exploration easier.

Are there any plans or can we get against each widget what the underlying model is and more importantly some high level info on what the data source is e.g. if it is a TableModel then the name of the table that it is linked to?

The reason I ask for this is to understand the lineage from our warehouse to Holistics, and be able to build some automated documentation for our users e.g. they view a table and can understand which dashboards are built off of this table, so if they make a change to the table they know the size of the impact.

1 Like

Hi @DataGeekDude,

Following these steps would help you to retrieve the dependency from widget to data source:

1. Using dashboard_idGet a Dashboard → retrieve source_id from widgets field where source_type=='QueryReport'
  2. Using source_id to Get a Query Report (include_data_set = true) → retrieve the id from the dataset field
  3. Using id from dataset to Get a DataSet (include_models = true) → retrieve the id and data_source_id from each data model
  4. Using id from the data model to Get a data model to retrieve table_name where backend_type = 'TableModel'
  5. Using data_source_idGet data source information such as name, dbtype, …

I hope this is useful for you. Let me know if you have any problems!

Cheers,

Ah thats awesome! Thanks. I hadn’t quite worked out how to build that up, so that is super helpful.

3 Likes

Hi,

Any ways how to extract column (measure/dimension) level lineage?

This is important for us to maintain our metrics base, and be able to remove unused fields. And more importantly, to be able to remove fields without breaking any dashboards/reports.

Hello @Abdel,

We recognize that getting the dependencies from the Dashboard/report to the column field is crucial to you. Unfortunately, due to the complexity of the logic involved, we are unable to assist you at this time. However, we will consider evaluating this use case and consult with my team.

Cheers,