Dynamic Number Abbreviations

Being able to use Numeric Abbreviations is helpful, as $3.4M is easier to read than $3,438,723

However, this becomes problematic when your users start to drill down. If the user applies a filter, that $3,438,723 could now be $48,358, and therefore gets abbreviated to $0.0M, which is not useful to the user

There should be an option for Dynamic Abbreviation, to ensure an appropriate level of precision is maintained in the abbreviation as the user drills / filters

4 Likes

Wonder if there has been any progress on this one?

I noticed that when you’re in the SQL editor mode, and you use ‘KPI’, it does automatically adjust the number scaling, eg…

select
  sum(sales) as total_sales
from my.table
where
  salesdate = '2022-01-27'

gives a number which it auto-scales to Millions

and if I change my query a little…

select
  sum(sales) / 1000 as total_sales
from my.table
where
  salesdate = '2022-01-27'

it now scales to thousands

and for good measure…

select
  sum(sales) / 100000 as total_sales
from my.table
where
  salesdate = '2022-01-27'

no scaling being applied now, which is the desired behaviour

Yet in reporting mode, even ‘KPI’ visual does have this behaviour - I have to scale manually to a fixed scale.

Seems the logic does exist (only for the SQL Editor), but would be good to see this applied more broadly

Thanks for spotting the odd ones out David :wink: You’re right, the KPI in the SQL editor still inherits the legacy system, where it automatically changes the abbreviation.

This might look very powerful but in some cases, people just want the raw numbers, so a conflict of interests over there. The solution should still be smart, but flexible to change if need be.

Revamping the formatting system is not currently on our plan this year, but I will keep a tab of the votes to make sure we don’t miss it during our backlog grooming.

Thanks - do please consider giving an option to use the legacy approach. It won’t always be an issue, but any time we want/expect users to drill down (eg into a specific location from an entire country), we will be unable to include the dashboard in our embedded instance.

1 Like

Noted, David. I will pass this to the team.