Date Granularity for Data Table or Pivot Table Visualization?

I’m working on Canvas Dashboards with combinations of column chart and data table widgets. In the column charts, I love that the user can specify different date granularities (day, month, year) in the top left:

It would be very helpful if the same date granularities were available to the report viewer in data tables or pivot tables. Maybe pivot tables would be a more natural place to add it if you could add or collapse different layers of date granularities?

I would love to know if anything like this is in your roadmap!

Thank you for raising this request, @Becca_Perry :+1:

I see! Definitely agreed that being able to quickly switch date granularities in data tables and pivot tables would be very handy.
We call this feature Widget Date drill, and true that it’s only available for non-tabular charts at the moment.

I have noted down in our product backlog for later improvements. Will be sure to get back when there’s any update.

As for a workaround: you can set up Dashboard Date drill, and map it to your data tables and pivots.

Let me know if this workaround suits you, Becca.

1 Like

Also, specifically about Pivot:

Maybe pivot tables would be a more natural place to add it if you could add or collapse different layers of date granularities?

This is an interesting request. May I ask if the pivot table would look somewhat similar to this Excel example, as how you imagine it?

Thanks for pointing out the Dashboard Date Drill. That does look helpful!

Yes, for pivot tables I was thinking similar to Excel with the boxes that look like this [-] for “opening” and “closing” the different levels of detail. I’m not sure how it works in Excel, but for our use case it would be nice if you didn’t have to click on every single month see the day-level details. It would be great to have one click to expand to the day-level or collapse to the month-level.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks for following up, Becca.

This is also a great suggestion. Expanding/collapsing by each level of date granularity would be a powerful addition to Pivot tables.

Added this as a separate item in our product backlog. I’ll be sure to let you know once there is an update on the timeline for this.

Cheers, Becca!

1 Like