Accepting user input variables in reports in 2.7 / 3.0

I am exploring whether it is possible to create a report in 3.0 that accepts variables so that a business user can chose an input and the output is calculated accordingly. (I am working in 2.7 but trying to use the 3.0 methodology).

Two examples of what I would like to do:

1. A business user selects two dates in a report and the difference in value of a metric (say order value) between those two dates is calculated.
  2. Calculate total order value over time in a single currency using fixed fx rates from a table with orders in multiple currencies. I would like the business user to be able to change the dates from which the specific fx rates should be taken, ideally in a drop down/filter.

My first example could be solved in 2.0 using SQL query variables, I am fairly certain.

My second example I am thinking might be solved if I was able to create a many to many relationship between an order table and a fx by date table with currency as key. With a filter only allowing one FX date to be selected I could create a business calculation that multiplies order value with the FX of the selected date… Not sure if this would work and since many to many relationships is not supported I cannot test it.

Any recommendations, workarounds, updates on when these features (variables, many to many relationships) might be planned would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @annahelme ,

Thanks for asking this question, and I’m sorry we didn’t respond to you on this earlier.

You are correct that this is a 3.0 limitation relative to 2.0/2.7, but this is something our product team is looking to address this year.

Let me cross post your use-case over to the new topic, and feel free to add on any new inputs or suggestions you have there too!

SQL query variables will solve so many of our problems! Can we have it sooner?

Hi @DerekC
This feature is still under discovery phase, so we couldn’t give you the confirmation for its timeline now. Instead, we highly recommend you follow our Query parameters topic to keep updated on the request.
Cheers! :blush: